Saturday, July 24, 2010

Ponderings about Midday Connection ~ Into Abba's Arms

     Earlier this week, I was listening to Midday Connection, a Moody Radio live broadcast that airs in the middle of the day to encourage women.  Where I live, it airs between noon and 1pm, Monday-Friday.  I'd say it's a great way to spend your lunch break and gain some spiritual encouragement.  Most of the time listeners have the option to call in to ask questions or share comments.  That's one of the things that I love about their program.

     When I tuned in this past Tuesday (7/20/10), Sandra Wilson was the guest and the title of the program was "Into Abba's Arms."  No, this wasn't a broadcast about the rock group, Abba, from the 70's.  It was about our "Daddy" in Heaven.  Once I began listening, I was immediately struck by something that Ms. Wilson said and it has resonated with me throughout this week.  It was a statement concerning who we want to please, based on John 12:43 which reads "for they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God."  As Christians, who do we want to please?  Of course, our immediate response, without truly thinking, is God.  But is that genuinely true?  If we take time to think about the actions that characterize us, I think we'll have an honest answer to that question. 

     For example, many times in the past, I didn't think anything of losing my temper...yelling, slamming doors, crying, etc...to get my way.  Who was I trying to please?  Which god of the moment?  Me!  I was my own idol.  How grateful I am that the Lord opened my eyes to that sin, convicted me, and brought about the change that needed to occur in my heart!  Now that was an awesome little kiss from God!  Obviously, I'm not perfect and never will be this side of Heaven, but God is continually convicting me of my sin and molding me more into the likeness of His Son, Jesus Christ. 

     Why is it that we, even as Christians, so desperately desire the approval of others?  It is human nature to want to be accepted.  Also, rejection is a hard pill to swallow.  But even more than that, I believe that we, in the flesh, don't have an accurate understanding of who we are and who God really is - His awesomeness, His sovereignty, His transcendence, His holiness and righteousness, His infinite power, His omniscience, His omnipresence, His infinite wisdom, His faithfulness, His compassion, mercy and grace, His never-ending, undying love for us...need I say  more?!  I could go on but I'll stop there.  If we did have a good grasp of who God truly is and who we are in relation to Him, we'd absolutely, positively, without any shadow of a doubt, desire His approval and have no need or desire of anyone else's approval.  

     So how do we get that accurate understanding of who God is and who we are in relation to Him?  From immersing our minds and souls in God's Word daily, hearing the Word of God being preached, and fellowshiping with other spiritually mature Christians who encourage us and give us biblical guidance.  How else can we expect to walk in truth?  It can only happen through knowing what the Book of Truth, the Bible, says!
      
Open Bible with penImage by ryk_neethling via Flickr

     If you'd like to find out more about Midday Connection's daily broadcasts, click on this link:  http://www.moodyradio.org/middayconnection.aspx.  I have been truly blessed by their ministry.   

Trusting you are recognizing little kisses from God today!

Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for a great post. I pray that one day I could really get it, and live it - that Christ is just so amazing. I mean REALLY get it. Not just what he's done for me, but who He is. I am comforted by the many verses that indicate it is incomprehensible. So I don't feel like a crazy person. :) If I only lived for Christ, I could live in a bubble, but I want to tell others about Him, and serve them, and then my flesh battles my desires and the pats on the head. 5 yrs ago or so I worked as the dishwasher at a large week long camp. I had breaking moments through the week, sorting out pride, humble, servant. Doing a horrid job, when no one cares, when you are belittled, for a Christian Camp, to help kids come to Christ - sorts out it being worth it, even if you receive no earthly praise. A good reminder for me this week. :) Sorry for the essay reply - Guess I shouldn't comment before coffee. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Angie. Your thoughts always encourage me, before or after coffee! :) I think if we truly got who God is and the awesome sacrifice He made sending His perfect and sinless Son to the cross then we wouldn't struggle so with all these earthly issues. But then if that was the case, we wouldn't need Him to guide us through it all. Although it's hard to live with rejection from others, He's teaching me, day by day, to rest in Him. Yes, Angie, He is incomprehensible!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Artwork by John Bell copyright 1998-2007 used with permission